acid reflux heartburn GERD logo

What kind of doctor treats acid reflux?

Your family doctor should do the initial evaluation of acid reflux. Your doctor may treat you with medication for acid reflux and/or order tests, referring you to a gastroenterologist. Gastroenterologists are doctors who have trained in adult internal medicine and have done several years of additional training in diseases of the digestive tract, liver, and pancreas. They generally see patients in the office and do various procedures. These procedures are usually upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. Upper endoscopy involves passing instruments down through the mouth to examine the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum and can be used to evaluate acid reflux. A colonoscopy is a screening test for colon cancer.

Depending on where you live and the availability of specialist doctors, surgeons or family practitioners may perform procedures. You may be referred to one of these doctors for an upper endoscopy test for evaluation of your acid reflux.

By Mortin - Copyright 2009
Last modification 31/12/2009

What kind of doctor treats acid reflux?- References